- village located at the confluence of the Sungai Tahan and Sungai Tembiling River (sungai = river)
- Kuala Tahan serves as Taman Negara's base camp
- all budget accommodations are located in Kuala Tahan
- the hiking trails of Taman Negara National Park starts at the opposite side of the river
- Mutiara Resort is the only accommodation (= priciest option) on the the National Park side of the river
- there is a boat shuttle service to cross the river for RM 1 / person
- Kuala Tahan has several smalls shops, restaurants, launderettes and tourist information shops selling tours
- bring enough cash, there is no ATM machine in the village!
- Kuala Tahan can be reached by longtail-boat (3h) from Kuala Tembeling or directly by road (1h)
view from Kuala Tahan across Sungai Tembeling to Taman Negara National Park
This photo was taking when the water level was very low. At the river bank you can see the floating restaurants and across the river the staircase leading up to Mutiara Restaurant and the entrance to Taman Negara. There is a taxi service to reach the other side of the river for RM1 per person.
for RM 1 you can use the boat shuttle to get to the Taman Negara side of the river
the bustling main road
tourism infrastructure in Kuala Tahan
basic guest house in a green and colorful setting near the mosque, 10min from the jetty
Orang Asli Village, Taman Negara
A village at the park border welcomes visitors during the day and offers a fascinating glimpse in the life the Malaysia's indigenious people.
Little India & Kapitan Keling Mosque, Penang
Small Indian enclave in Georgetown where you can find shops, food, temples and the Kapitan Keling Mosque.