Taman Negara National Park was established in Malaysia in 1938/1939 as the King George V National Park. It was renamed to Taman Negara after Independence, which literally means “national park” in Malay. The total area of Taman Negara is 4,343 km².
Taman Negara in a nutshell
- national park in in one of the world's oldest rainforests
- one of the world's most bio-diverse regions
- park permit: RM1 per person, applicable to all visitors.
- fishing license: RM10 per person
- camera licence: RM5 per camera
- peak season: April - August
- low season: November - Februar (more rain, but also less crowded, possibility of occasional park closures due to flooding)
- the 2-3h boat ride from Kuala Tembeling to Kuala Tahan is recommended
- park headquarter is in the village of Kuala Tahan (all traveller necessities are here: laundry, restaurants, travel information / tour booking, smalls, hotel and hotels)
- it's a rainforest and that means it is really hot and humid
- bring enough cash, there are no money changers, banks or ATMs in Taman Negara. Some bigger places like Han Rainforest Resort or Mutiara Resort accept credit card
- you will see an abundance of plants and insects, but don't expect to see bigger wild animals, they retreated deeper to the interior of the National Park
- fun activies: jungle walks, canopy walk, rapid shooting, meal at floating restaurants
Getting To Taman Negara
on the boat on the Sungai Tembeling River from Kuala Tembeling to Kuala Tahan (Taman Negara)
Most travellers will visit Taman Negara from Kuala Lumpur. This journey will include take you to town of Jerantut first. Jerantut is easiest reached by bus (3-4 hour ride). The second leg from Jerantut can either be accomplished by bus (faster, about 1h) or boat (scenic ride on the river trough the rain forest, 2-3h). The boat ride starts in Kuala Tembeling (at 9am and 2pm), a 20-min taxi ride outside of Jerantut. While everything be arrange as you go by yourself (see more information here), there are also a couple of tour providers that will offer the entire journey a single ticket for ease of mind. These tickets can convinient bought only, see the links below.
From Taman Negara (but also the other way around), it is also possible, instead of going back to Kuala Lumpur (in case you came that way), to travel onwards to Cameron Highlands or to Kuala Besut (jetty for the boat ride to Perhentian Islands). Or you take the bus or boat back to Jerantut and the take the train from there which give you the option to go directly to Kota Bahru or Kuala Lumpur or with transfer to another train to Singapore or Thailand.
Book tickets for bus ( & boat) right here online:
Excellent alternative online resources:
Kuala Lumpur - Taman Negara
More information on the combined bus and boat journey from Kuala Lumpur to Taman Negara National Park and back.
Boat Ride to Taman Negara
The scenic 2.5 h boat ride between Kuala Tembeling and Kuala Tahan (Taman Negara Headquarters) makes the trip to the park itself a highlight.
Orang Asli Village
A village at the park border welcomes visitors during the day and offers a fascinating glimpse in the life the Malaysia's indigenious people.
Kuala Tahan is the small village just opposite the entrance to Taman Negara NP at the other side of Sungai Tembeling river. All accommodations are located here.
Kuala Tembeling Jetty
The jetty in Kuala Tembeling is the starting point for the 3h boat ride to Taman Negara
Han Rainforest Resort is the biggest accommodation in Kuala Tahan with private rooms of various standards and also dorm room. All package tours that we recommend include accommodation here.... more
Resort with bungalows, restaurant and swimming pool in Kuala Tahan. With a big parking lot in front, it is mainly catering for tour groups.... more
Budget Accommodation in Kuala Tahan near the jetty... more
Han Rainforest Resort is the biggest accommodation in Kuala Tahan with private rooms of various standards and also dorm room. All package tours that we recommend include accommodation here.
Located outside of the village in a secluded area by the river offering acccommodation in 10 capsules